Dental implants have a very high success rate and should last a very long time with proper maintenance. Some studies have success rates of 100%. But the majority average is between 95-99% for 5 and 10 year success rates of bone integration.
However, in real life, there is no such thing as 100% success, and dental implants are no exception. There are many types of possible complications regarding dental implants and their restorations:
- Placement in the wrong location
- Over stress of the implant
- Bone loss around the implant
- Gum inflammation and bleeding around the implant
- Excess crown cement that has not been removed
- Medical conditions which affect the healing and maintenance
- Drug interactions
- Improper crown or bridge (prosthetic) design and fit
- Improper oral hygiene and maintenance
- Nerve and tissue damage
- Broken components
- Loose abutment locking screws
- Etc. etc. etc.
Regarding possible complications, it is important to note that with any procedure, there are risks/benefits. We use the latest technologies such as Laser, Healing Proteins, Ultrasonics, Air Abrasion, and Chemical-Medication techniques and more for treatment and retreatment for any of these complications. If you have problems with your existing dental implants, we will be happy to discuss the possible options for a predictable outcome